Bible Origination

by Michael Berry on February 11, 2016

Scholars estimate that the 66 books of the King James version of the Bible were written by some 50 different authors. These books were chosen, after a bit of haggling, by the Catholic Council of Carthage in AD 397 – more than 350 years after the time of Jesus. This collection is broken into two major sections: the Old Testament, which consists of 39 books, and the New Testament, which has 27 books. (Catholic Bibles include an additional 12 books known as Apocrypha.) The Gospels for the New Testament were chosen from a huge selection. Many were discarded or destroyed because they did not agree with the then accepted version of Christianity. In some of these other gospels, women are portrayed in very different positions – as disciples, as apostles, as teaches – than in the Gospels of the New Testament.

I don’t know about you but this brings up some real questions for me. Now I’m not saying what they chose to share with us is not true, but the question for me is what did they leave out? I know that the version of Christianity during that time certainly did not accept the fact that you create your life through your thoughts. So were there gospels written about this. I guess we’ll never know.

Howard Hughes October 25, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Hey Michael, great post. It’s a subject close to my heart and one that I have collected some amount of information on. In the end, history is written by the victors and with the buring down of the Library at Alexendria in Egypt, a lot of information was lost.
The Bible, as you point out, is a slimmed down version of some 360 books, I believe and Christianity as we have it today is based on compromise. The Council of Nicea was called together because of the disagreement of the faithful scattered throughout the world.
Anyhow, if you take it as a book in personal development, it’s way ahead of its time. Writings of the enlightened handed down to people who may not have grasped it’s true meanng, a road map in a different language.
Thanks again Michael.

Michael Berry October 25, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Hey Howard I agree that the book is way ahead of it’s time, but there’s a part of me that has concern with them destroying documents that did not fit their views. I just think it’s a shame. What were they trying to protect?

Howardmjhughes November 10, 2010 at 7:59 pm

‘The End Of Days’ – not of us as a race or of a planet. Some believe that this reference is to the end of ‘The Church’ as we know it and that is what is being protected.
For so long they were the only people who could read and write and they goverened with impunity and it’s come back to bite them on the ass. (Pardon the French)

Michael Berry November 11, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Yes Howard it appears we’re on the same page. If they would have allowed people to decide for themselves instead of being the judge and jury it would have been very interesting. Thanks fro your comments.

Bethany Lamb October 26, 2010 at 4:50 am

Hey, very interesting post. I just wrote an article on a bit of history myself. I never found it very interesting before, but I am starting to realize how it still is a part of the world we live in today, it shaped it.
Your comment “I guess we’ll never know.” holds so much truth. We only know what our ancestors want us to. After reading different “facts” about the same events I realize that everyone has a different point of view of the story. Maybe they all have some truth in them, but the truth is we’ll never know. History is a bit mysterious like that.
Thanks,
Bethany

Michael Berry October 27, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Hi Bethany thanks for your comments. I don’t like putting out any negativity but I do find this to be the ultimate for of censorship. On the other hand we will finds out the complete story eventually.

Peter chapman October 27, 2010 at 10:13 am

Interesting post, Michael. Someone once shared this wisdom with me: “you can intellectualise yourself out of the Gospel”. Whilst I don;t know the truth of all things, I do know this. That I am happy with what I do know and will leave all the questions till I am in a place where it is all explained to me.Thought provoking post and I really appreciate it.Best wishesPeter

Michael Berry October 27, 2010 at 5:27 pm

That’s is what is truly important Paul. As long as you’re happy with yourself and your beliefs. As I stated in a previous comment we will find out the complete truth eventually.

Thanks for your comments,

Michael Berry October 27, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Sorry Peter I said Paul. Must have been thinking of the Gospel.

Kevin M. October 30, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I am going to have to go along the same lines as Peter here. I can present all the facts about how the Bible was developed and how it is authentic but what it really comes down too is faith. I have faith that what we have received is what God wanted us to receive. I also believe that God directed men in the writing of the Bible and in its compilation.

Michael Berry October 31, 2010 at 4:15 pm

You are correct Peter it’s all about faith. What you believe is your truth. Thanks for your comments.

Gamaliel August 6, 2011 at 8:35 am

Thank’s for your post. I think bible it’s like a jewel but was wrote by men and it’s like a part of something that we have to find or construct in our life. I try to live my life in contact with me and follow what it’s on my heart. Sometimes it’s can be against wath bible said but GOD know me and he knows (how many hair that I have) something that I don’t know. Today I just prayd about GOD but the next step to follow in heart.

Michael Berry August 6, 2011 at 8:57 am

You’re welcome and thank you for your comments. I think you would enjoy the writings of Neale Donald Walsh “Conversations with God”.

Michael Asperger September 26, 2011 at 5:17 pm

For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad. If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given. mark 4:22-24

I believe the spirit of the word survives all our attempts at quelling it; with your own ears you may hear, the more you hear the more you listen. 🙂

There is nothing missing to this end, and nothing superfluous either.

Michael Berry September 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I appreciate your opinion and your comments.

Julie Beachum September 27, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Bible origination has been an ongoing debate for many Michael. There are so many different variations, each person must develop their own relationship with God and live a life according to sound morals and values. Some of the basics don’t require written instructions. Thanks for always inspiring and encouraging people to prosper your mind!!

Julie
Julie Beachum@lead generation process recently posted..Discount Vacation Travel

Michael Berry September 27, 2011 at 1:18 pm

That was exactly my point Julie and you discovered it. If I could give you a gold star I would. Well here’s a * anyway.

Jane Araguel October 2, 2011 at 8:19 am

It is said that a lot of information was left out but one can never know for sure. Whatever was put down as today`s Bible is however enough for anyone to choose whether they believe in it or NOT.

Michael Berry October 2, 2011 at 10:31 am

You’re right Jane but it would have been nice to have it all and not have someone choose for us.