The Man Who Knew Too Little

by Michael Berry on February 20, 2015

“The Man Who Knew Too Little” is an old movie staring Bill Murray that has a very important personal development message. For those of you that have not seen it I’ll give you a brief description.

Bill Murray travels to London to unexpectedly visit his brother on his birthday. His brother is having an important business meeting at his house and really does not want him there during this time, so he buys him a part in a kind of reality movie that he’s supposed to act along with the plot, such as saving a lady in distress, and etc. But when he answers the pay phone to get his instructions it’s actually from a real person giving him instructions on conducting a hit and getting some letters from a girl. He goes along with this because he thinks it’s his part in this movie. He runs into all these dangerous circumstances, but because he believes they are actors as well, he’s not concerned and therefore shows no fear in caring out his roll.

You can watch the trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcGgKhVjYIc So how does this apply to personal development?

If we would all just approach life as if it’s just a movie and a game, which it is, we would not have any concerns about the future with the “knowing” that it’ll all work out as long as we just take action toward our goals.

Steven Dean January 1, 2011 at 9:59 am

Hey Michael

That’s pretty deep actually. A very strong message indeed. If you don’t know the meaning of fear or what it is then it doesn’t exist. Especially if your not aware of it. I may have seen this movie; perhaps only bits and pieces of it, but not actually certain. Maybe the trailer will jog my memory. Thanks for sharing

Steven Dean

Michael Berry January 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Thanks for your comments Steven. Yes it does make you think about what fear really is.

Anonymous January 2, 2011 at 7:03 am

Interesting take on the movie, Michael!

I guess you could say he was living in the now, enjoying the challenges of the present moment, and just doing what was ahead of him with no worries about consequences because he didn’t know there would be any.

I’ve often made the observation about animals, that they don’t worry about the pain that might be coming tomorrow… even if pain has been inflicted on them, they don’t think about it again unless something triggers the fear again.

Willena Flewelling

Michael Berry January 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm

That’s a great analogy Willena comparing it to animals. I know with our dogs they are always in the “NOW”.

LeeAnn January 3, 2011 at 12:37 am

The movie sounds very interesting Michael. I have not seen it before. I will have to check it out! Happy New Year!

Michael Berry January 3, 2011 at 4:58 pm

It’s a pretty silly movie but does make a good point. Happy New Year to you as well.

Monick Halm January 5, 2011 at 9:12 am

Thanks for this post Michael. I will definitely check out this movie. It sounds very interesting and I love Bill Murray. You also make a great point that life is really one big game anyway, so we might as well treat it like nothing will hurt us.

Michael Berry January 10, 2011 at 6:57 pm

That’s a great comment Monick “life is really one big game anyway, so we might as well treat it like nothing will hurt us”. Right on.

maria eves July 28, 2011 at 2:46 am

Michael I have never seen this movie soundz great! I enjoy the game of life its just so exciting.

I must keep an eye out for this move Michael.
Thanks for shareing..

Michael Berry July 28, 2011 at 7:40 am

Thanks Maria for your comments. They are appreciated.
Take care Michael

Al July 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Good post Michael, I have to check that movie out. It does make you think though.

Michael Berry July 29, 2011 at 7:28 am

It’s pretty silly but has a good point.

Samantha September 20, 2011 at 7:52 am

I just watch this movie. Because it sounds interesting. Thank you for this inspiring blog.
Samantha recently posted..glass tableware

Michael Berry September 20, 2011 at 8:10 am

You’re welcome and thank you for your comments Samantha.

Jane Araguel November 16, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I have not watched the movie but then if that is the lesson then it must be a good one. If we did things without being concerned about the future then we would take each day as it comes and make the best out of each second of the day.

{ 2 trackbacks }