Healing Mind Power

by Michael Berry on February 25, 2015

Cove Oasis

In my personal development journey I’m constantly amazed at the mind’s capabilities. As we learn in our personal development, the mind has no limitations. I’d like to share an example of that in my own personal development experience.

A few years ago we were walking the dogs Blaze and Bella (Blaze – Irish Setter and Bella – Rottweiler) in an area called The Cove Oasis (La Quinta, CA) which is within walking distance of our home. There are mountains surrounding the area and generally we like to keep the dogs close to the trail (off leash) and not venture up too far in the mountains because of the potential for a rattlesnake encounter.

On this day, Bella had ventured a little too far up the mountain and I went partially up the mountain to call her back. She obey my command and this 130 pound dog started down and partially sliding down the mountain directly toward me and ended up catching my shin with one of her front claws. I didn’t feel anything until my wife said you’re bleeding. I looked down and discovered I had a 6″ long – 1/4″ wide gash  all the way to my shin bone.

A trip to the emergency care facility. The doctor inserted 12 stitches, he said that because of my age (62) and the width of the wound blood does not tend to flow readily to the lower parts of the leg and the healing process would take a very long time and probably a very bad scar would be left. I did not buy into his story. My thought was that I can focus on the wound and force the blood to that part of my body. Even when I went back 10 days later to have the stitches removed it was not looking good and looked like the stitches did very little good to mend the wound, but I could see there was plenty of blood flowing to that area. Again another doctor saw the wound and said the very same thing as the one during my initial visit…take a long time to heal blah, blah, blah…..

During that visit an older RN told me that the young people today believe that a wound should be always covered until it heals completely, but she thought that uncovering it occasionally was good. I liked the idea and uncovered it a few hours a day and I could see that it was constantly rebuilding because the blood was still forming to build a scab. I don’t intend to gross anyone out by this, but the point is that I did not buy into their story and created my own.

The end of the story. In a little over 2 months the wound was totally healed with very minor scarring. Heck, I have worse scars from my football days and they didn’t even require any stitches. Don’t buy anyone’s story if in your gut you feel differently, create your own.

A 30 second video to show you Cove Oasis.

Yorinda October 20, 2010 at 2:20 am

Hi Micheal,
that is a great story of believing in your own healing power.

Wouldn’t it be great if doctors spread more stories or prognosis on quick healing instead of throwing the past into the future of some statistics which are based on ……….What?
Cove Oasis looks peaceful. Is that your dog in the Video?

Thank you so much for sharing.
To your vibrant health!
Yorinda

Michael Berry October 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Hey Yorinda you gave me an idea. I’ll go back to the clinic and show the doctors my healing and they can share that story as possible. Yes that’s our dogs and my wife Arni in the video.
Thanks for your comments,

Lesly October 20, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Loved your story! As you know I am a believer in the healing power of the body, but mindset plays even a more significant role. Your attitude and faith in your body’s ability to heal was quite important. Thanks for sharing – it’s inspiring …

Michael Berry October 20, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Yes Lesly it’s all about your belief in what’s possible for you. Thanks for your comments.

China Sourcing Gary October 21, 2010 at 3:24 am

Michael, I can attest to your claim first hand. I’ve had my share of injuries and illnesses and many people said similar things to me as well. I didn’t buy it and I willed myself back to normal and beyond expectations.

Michael Berry October 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I love it Gary hearing other people say the same thing. It’s a wonderful experience knowing “you can”.
Thanks for your comments,

Pat & Lorna Shanks October 21, 2010 at 4:12 am

We definitely agree with you. There are more than enough people who will tell you why you can’t do something… or give you a negative outcome for certain situations. If we don’t buy into it and write our own story, it is amazing what we can do.

Thanks,
~ Pat & Lorna

Michael Berry October 21, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Right on Pat & Lorna. It’s amazing how many people don’t question an authoritative figure (so they’ve been taught) such as a doctor. I have had this conversation with my mom a number of times.
Thanks for your comments,

Denise October 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Blah blah blah, exactly…. pay no attention. Have you heard of Louise Hay? She’s the author of Heal Your Life. I have her book and if I feel unwell (not very often) i’ll go straight to her book rather than the doctor!

Denise

Michael Berry October 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm

No I have not heard of Louise Hay. I’ll check into it. Thanks for your comments Denise. It’s so wonderful to here people not “buying the story”.

Jeremiah M. Wean October 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Great story. Positive attitude above all else, and tuning out the negative it goes a long way.

Michael Berry October 21, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Yes it does Jeremiah. Thanks for your comments.

Debbie October 22, 2010 at 10:09 am

Great post Michael. I love the video. There is nothing more precious or more scarce sometimes than the sound of silence! It would be very peaceful to just sit there for a while and listen 🙂

Michael Berry October 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Thanks Debbie. It’s amazing place high above the Palm Springs area and you don’t hear any sounds from the city below. We’ve also sat up there after dark and watched the stars without any interference from the city lights.
Thanks for your comments,

Anonymous October 22, 2010 at 10:45 am

I truly believe that we have untapped power and if we use the mind they way it is intended for us to create what reality we want, we can always predict our outcome because that is what we choose. Great story.

Lori

Michael Berry October 22, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Thanks Lori, if we believe it we can conceive it. Thanks for your comments.

Robin van der Merwe October 22, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I can’t decide which I like best; your story or your video! 🙂 There is so much to be said for silence. A good deal of healing can come from time spent in silence!

I really enjoyed this post..thanks so much for sharing it!

Best,
Robin

Michael Berry October 22, 2010 at 3:44 pm

You’re so very welcome Robin. That’s a great comment from you on which you like the best. I appreciate that.

Make it a wonderful day,

Dr. Adam Sheck October 23, 2010 at 1:32 am

Great post and great example of the power of the mind. I certainly believe and have experienced the mind/body/soul connection and use that in my work with couples and singles with relationship issues. There is actually much research confirming the importance of a positive attitude in healing from trauma and surgeries as well.
Thanks so much for sharing,
Adam

Michael Berry October 23, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Thanks Adam I appreciate you comments. I guess I would sum it up by saying what the mind can believe it can conceive. As you pointed out it’s in the attitude.

rebeccahappy October 23, 2010 at 2:44 am

great story!!! and an interesting perspective. In regards to healing it makes a lot of sense and I love how you spun it around.

Michael Berry October 23, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Rebecca. Anyone can “spin it around” as long as they have the belief.

Linnea Kline October 23, 2010 at 4:33 am

I’m with Robin on this one…not sure which I like the best either but am grateful to you for both and for the reminder that we really can create our own reality.
Thanks!

Michael Berry October 23, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I’m glad you liked both. I just put the video in there to show the area not realizing it had another point as well. Thanks for your comments.

social bookmarking October 23, 2010 at 4:37 am

I completely agree with you. But then, I began my career as a product developer and if you don’t question the status quo you will not succeed. So, it is second nature to me to think through what others tell me, without taken it on face value.
It is great to see that same philosophy back on your blog.

Michael Berry October 23, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I understand where you’re coming from but most people don’t question things like that because they’re not trained to. It’s all about training your mind to be open. Thanks for your comments.

Scott Pollov October 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Michael, the last sentence of the article – “Don’t buy anyone’s story if in your gut you feel differently, create your own.” – is so true. Always trust your gut. It is your life and trusting someone else to make a decision about your health or well-being is dangerous. Value the opinion of a doctor, but it is still up to you to decide what is best. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Michael Berry October 23, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Yes I always look at your “gut” as being your subconscious mind and it knows all the answers. It’s how you feel.
Thanks for your comments,

Debbie October 23, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I often find people are willing to absorb other people’s story. Even if it doesn’t fit with their own story. I’m glad you shared this story of the incredible power of the mind.

And how important it is to tell the story like you’d like it to be.

Michael Berry October 23, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I liked what you said Debbie about “absorb”. That’s a very good way of putting it. Thanks for your comments.

Paul Klaszus October 23, 2010 at 11:51 pm

What I laugh most about is how much doctors (of all people) don’t understand the power of the mind…

If they truly studied health (which of course, they debatably don’t) they would employ this teaching and we would all benefit from a ‘health’ care system… and not a ‘sick’ care system.

Blessings… and my goodness.. Cove Oasis is my kinda place!

Michael Berry October 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Hey Paul thanks for your comments. It’s interesting because doctors are just giving 95% people want they want, a pill to fix everything or not elaborate on the fact they can heal themselves because the vast majority would not believe them anyway. I look forward to the day when the majority of doctors stand up and tell people they can heal themselves. I know doctors deep down inside know this.

Edward October 24, 2010 at 1:17 am

Hey Michael,

What an amazing story. Our mind is so powerful beyond our imagination. I totally agree with you. We don’t need to take other peoples beliefs about us and make them ours. It is what stops most people from reaching their dreams and goals. I am blessed the opportunity to see more clearly and understand that life exists outside of the matrix. Thanks for sharing this and the great sound of silence with us all.

Make it a great day!
God Bless,
-ed

Michael Berry October 24, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Thanks Ed. You made so many great comments, but you said “We don’t need to take other peoples beliefs about us and make them ours. It is what stops most people from reaching their dreams and goals.” That really states it all.

edillinger October 24, 2010 at 1:38 pm

That’s a very powerful story about how you overcame objections to see a different outcome. The mind is very powerful, and is connected to the body through a central nervous system. The mind and body should be seen as the same thing, and not two separate systems.

Michael Berry October 24, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Right on Eddie. You said it all “The mind and body should be seen as the same thing, and not two separate systems.”

Thanks for your comments,

Emma Deborah Thomas October 24, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Oh My… I could have done with those healing thoughts a few times!!! I’ll have to learn that trick – my heart is my biggest concern… I think I need to stop thinking of it as having something wrong with it but if I’m in pain it’s difficult to believe it!

Thank you, you have made it easier to believe that I can fix it – I’m certain that mindset is a huge factor… my health is the one thing I struggle with being strong in the mind about!

Hope you’re having a great weekend.

Emma 🙂

Michael Berry October 24, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Hey Emma thanks for your comments. I have a suggestion for you, You know those times when you can actually hear your heart beat in your head, maybe the way you’re laying on a pillow or if you can’t, get a stethoscope and listen to your heart beating. Then focus on your heart beat and think my heart is getting stronger and stronger with each beat. Do this a few times a day. I know I can actually slow my heart beat down by focusing on it.

Hope this helps,

Rob Franta October 25, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for sharing that great story Mike, I also enjoyed the video. I agree with you 100% we need to make our own decisions and have our own thoughts. Thats the beauty of Free Will we can do, think and feel what ever we want.

Michael Berry October 25, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Hey Rob thanks for your comments. I especially liked it when you said “That’s the beauty of Free Will we can do, think and feel what ever we want.” You are so right on.

Trish Kirby October 29, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Great post! I love the whole concept of the power of the mind. I’m reading “Think and Grow Rich” and getting so much out of the book. I like how you didn’t listen to the doctors and knew what you were doing was going to work. I need to have belief like you did.

God Bless,
Trish Kirby

Michael Berry October 29, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Hi Trish,

Thanks for your comments. You said “I need to have belief like you did.” If you keep studying personal development you will. Maybe my post on simplifying personal development will help you http://blog.prosperyourmind.com/2010/10/personal-development-simplified/

Sharon Miller May 24, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Thanks for your story.  Sometimes I feel like I’m on an Island by myself.  Glad to know there are others out there who believe…..Sharon R. Miller

Michael Berry May 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Yes we do Sharon. Thanks for your comments.

Melodie Kantner September 21, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I really agree with you on this Michael. I am also amazed at the minds capabilities. I have several examples in my life but one I will share. For the last few years whenever I go to the eye doctor they tell me that soon I will need glasses for reading. They say your eyes get worse with age. I refuse to buy into that. I have actually seen my eyes improve over the years by using certain supplements that are known to strengthen eyes. I used to wear contact lenses but as my eyes kept improving and now I don’t wear them.

I am 53 and still not needing glasses for reading, but every time I go in to the eye doctor I have to have a conversation with myself to make sure I am not taking on his programming. I refuse to buy into the idea that my eyes will go bad.

Maybe when I’m 90. 😉
Melodie Kantner@Network Marketing Success recently posted..Are You Making This TribePro Mistake?

Michael Berry September 21, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Thanks so very much for sharing your story as well. I’m 63 and do not wear glasses as well.

{ 2 trackbacks }