Are You Being You?

by Michael Berry on February 26, 2015

What comes up for you when I ask the question? Are you being you? There is another way I could ask that question. Are you being the real you? Either way are you listening to your inner you or are you allowing outside influences to effect your thoughts and ultimate action. I definitely not talking about the monkey chatter of your past or worries about the future. I’m talking about silencing all that “stuff”. So how do you do that?

Of course there’s meditation and other methods along those lines but the simplest way for me is to just be in the NOW. The way I do that is to focus on what’s going on around me and just observe without any judgement. If I’m sitting in my backyard I watch the birds the plants as they’re moving in the breeze, a bug crawling on the ground, you get the idea. I keep doing this as long as necessary until a thought pops into my head and this is usually totally of the path of what I’m observing. Take that thought and write it down regardless of what it is, even if it has no relevance to you at the moment. It may serve you later. Then immediately go back to being in the NOW again and do this process as long as you want to. And most of all have fun with it. Along the way I believe you’ll start to discover the real you.

Donnie Miller January 4, 2011 at 12:01 am

Great Post Mike – Too many live in either the past of “I tried and it didn’t work for me” – or the future of “one of these days everything is finally going to come together for me.”

All we are and have is the “Now” – the past is just that, the past – it has no control over my “Now”. And the future is not promised to us… take advantage of the “Now” and all of it’s opportunities and blessings!

Thank you for reminding me of the “Now”!

~ Donnie Miller

Michael Berry January 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I could not have said it better myself. Thanks so much for your wonderful comments.

Anonymous January 4, 2011 at 5:09 am

Michael, That is the most important marketing and business building “trick” that I have learned over the last few years – to become more and more my own authentic self. It really is that simple. The more real and fully present I am, the more I am able to observe others without judgment, to actually feel that love for them that is often hidden when I am too self-focused and feeling insecure. I enjoyed watching a dog in the back seat of a station wagon the other day. The back window was open and he just went from right to left to center, watching and feeling everything. He was so present and so happy. And I thought, “I want to be like that.”
Happy New Year. Wonderful post.
Erica

Michael Berry January 4, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Right on Erica. Dog’s can teach us so much about being in the now and being ourselves. I love your comment of being more and more your “own authentic self”.

Michael Berry January 4, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Thanks so much for your wonderful comments Monick.

Michael Berry January 4, 2011 at 8:31 pm

And thank you for your comments Shari. Might want to think about giving more money to causes that are important to you to increase the flow of money to you.

Roland Bonay January 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Interesting post. I sometimes find myself in the NOW when I have no other choice; when I’m in line at the dept of motor vehicles, when I’m stuck in traffic, or when I’m in the shower. I use these opportunities to allow my imagination to wander and a thought that might lead to a great idea pops into my head. Sometimes I write it down and sometimes I don’t. I’m going to make a better effort to record those thoughts because as much as I’d like to believe I’ll remember them I know from experience (my own and that of others) that I won’t.

Roland

Michael Berry January 10, 2011 at 6:53 pm

That’s a great point Roland. Always carry something with you to write down your ideas. I find the notes on my iPhone works well since it’s always with me.

Elizabethsadhu January 4, 2011 at 11:31 pm

My life has been about this exact thing. My self love journey. Thanks for this!
AND I have found myself recently posting, “I love myself EXACTLY as I am NOW!”

love and light,
Elizabeth in Oregon
Inner Life Coach

Michael Berry January 10, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I love that expression Elizabeth. “I love myself exactly as I am NOW”. Thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous January 15, 2011 at 9:27 am

Living in the Now… Present Moment Awareness… Such an important lesson! I like the way you’ve presented it here.

I’ve only been learning and practising this for the past year or so, and I have a long way to go in making it an integral part of my everyday life. I especially like Guy Finley’s take on the whole matter.

Willena Flewelling

Michael Berry January 17, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Yes the truth is we just have the NOW why not take full advantage of it. Thanks for your comments.

Pearlypq January 25, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Hey Michael,
This is a great question ~ Are you being you ? I find is it so much easy to be myself and I find more joy, happiness and love for being myself.

Thanks for the question and I truly enjoy it 🙂

Cheers
Pearly

Michael Berry January 26, 2011 at 10:46 pm

You’re welcome Pearly I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Michael Berry January 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Thanks for your comments Miss Leslie. You brought up so much about being in the now I thought you make like one of my earlier posts http://blog.prosperyourmind.com/2010/09/being-in-the-now/

Larry Lewis July 28, 2011 at 7:21 am

Such an important thing to remind people of. The past is gone, the future has not yet been, but you live, breathe, exist in the NOW! So make sure you living your life right now. “Some people drift through their entire life. They do it one day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time. It happens so gradually they are unaware of how their lives are slipping away until it’s too late”. Mary Kay Ash

Michael Berry July 28, 2011 at 7:45 am

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments Mary Kay. They are appreciated.
Make it an awesome day,

Jane Araguel August 16, 2011 at 9:34 am

Nice post! Hmmm Am I being me? Haven’t asked myself about that 🙂 Maybe because I just love being me and it’s in being me that I am comfortable. Well there are really people that asks approval from others before doing something. I hope they all can read your post and ask themselves too 🙂

Thanks for sharing this one Michael!

Michael Berry August 16, 2011 at 10:56 am

You’re welcome and thank you for your comments. I feel the same as you Jane. You’re right everyone should ask that question and give an honest answer.