Bold Decisions

by Michael Berry on August 11, 2014

THE WRIGHT BROTHERS PROVE FLIGHT IS POSSIBLE

THE SITUATION:

The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, had been fascinated with flight ever since their father bought them a toy helicopter when they were children. As they got older, they took their interest more seriously and began to experiment. Up to this point in history, there had been no successful attempts at manned flight and this idea was mocked as a ludicrous impossibility.

DECISIONS:

Starting in 1900, the brothers took their experiments from their home in Dayton, Ohio, to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina where the winds were better. It was there that they graduated from kites to gliders, built a wind tunnel to test their experimental wing, and ultimately constructed the first effective airplane.

THE RESULT:

In 1903, the brothers made their historic first flight, which paved the way for modern aviation and eventually space exploration. Their fundamental breakthrough was the three-axis control that allowed the pilot to steer the plane effectively and maintain equilibrium.

For example, a Network Marketer starts a business against the advice of friends and family, all who say this is a mistake. She works through the due diligence and proves the value of the decision, and determines that although the decision is a bold one, it isn’t reckless. It is an excellent decision in line with her goals of an exciting lifestyle, time management and financial freedom. Initially, she loses money. The naysayers say this was obviously the wrong decision and that she was foolish to try.

Determined, she continues to work the business and consults directly with those who have successfully achieved what she wants. She ignores or otherwise handles the negative voices and Course Corrects often. She begins to experience results in line with what she desires. Two years later she is experiencing the exciting lifestyle, time management and financial freedom she sought-beyond what she originally envisioned.

These types of success stories are everywhere. The difference between those who do successfully create what they want and those who do not can be distinguished by the process they followed: due diligence (is what they want actually happening in the world now? If not, is it possible it can happen?); deciding and acting in the manner determined by their end goals; revising their decisions by Course Correcting as opportunities and adversity come up; and staying the course until they reach their goal.

Even though every person’s story and path is unique and different, the process is very often similar.

Like in other areas of our lives, we develop habits in our decision making process.

Many people are quick to make decisions and slow to change them. Others are slow to make decisions and then quick to second-guess them. What we’ve discussed is that consistent thought, continuous by action that is in line with your goals, and constant Course Correction gives you the best opportunity to be at cause to create the life experience you want.

Cheryl James March 11, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Cool comparison here Michael. I can definitely relate to the ‘she’ that was determined and went against the naysayers, suffered for a long time, lost money and finally began seeing results. I cannot yet relate to the second half of that story… but know it is as sure as the physics of flight!

Michael Berry March 16, 2011 at 12:22 am

I love your last statement Cheryl, “but know it as sure as the physics of flight”. That’s a knowing. Thanks for your comments.

kevin schmidt March 13, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I love the Wright Brothers example. I was just listening to a TED talk by Simon Sinek and he used the Wright Bros. as an example to illustrate the reason “why” you do what you do. The Wright’s were successful because they realized if they could figure out the plane then they could change the course of history. Their reason why was bigger than becoming rich and famous.

I agree… to make a decision that is in line with goals of lifestyle, time management, and financial freedom is a “why” that is greater than just a paycheck. To go through the up’s and downs everyday, you have to constantly tell yourself why it’s worth the struggle. If we can do this, watch out world!

Thanks for sharing this great post… I really enjoyed it!

-Kevin

Michael Berry March 16, 2011 at 12:27 am

Thanks Kevin and I can say from personal experience it is definitely worth the struggle.

Yasser Khan March 14, 2011 at 7:10 am

Hi Michael!

That’s an awesome example of persistence despite societal pressures to give up. I love the story of the Wright brothers, and their courage never ceases to amaze me. The same goes for Edison’s thousand attempts at building the light bulb.

If we have the persistence to follow through our dreams, we’ll achieve them eventually. Though most failures occur right before the point of success.

Yasser

Michael Berry March 16, 2011 at 12:31 am

Yes Yasser the really successful people have all faced adversity. It’s what you do with that adversity that counts toward your success of failure.

Christine Casey March 14, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Hi Michael ~ Great analogy you utilized here to tell the story of being a successful business owner, especially when in the network marketing/direct sales industry. Staying consistent and being willing to make “course-corrections” as need is a must to successful habits in the industry! As always, appreciate you sharing 🙂 Christine

Michael Berry March 16, 2011 at 12:32 am

And thank you Christine I always appreciate your insightful comments.

William Earl Amis,Jr. III March 16, 2011 at 8:52 am

Michael, wonderful and amazing. Your presentation is breathtaking, and has motivated me to expand my support, for others! WOW!

Michael, thank you for sharing that powerful content filled presentation. Then, to add that outstanding video, puts the icing on the cake! Love what you did with this!

I am not surprised, being a member of TSA. That is where all the great leaders, and visionaries such as yourself, are.

Please keep me updated on your progress. I am so excited that I believe in watching the video, once more! keep on going to that next level…

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 10:25 pm

You’re welcome William and thank you for all your kind words and comments. They are very much appreciated.

George Tiganus March 16, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Stories like this always motivate me. What some people managed to accomplish is sometimes unbelievable considering the low level of knowledge in many aspects of science back then.
Persistance is the key to success, that I am absolutely sure of.
Thanks for the great article ,
George

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 10:26 pm

You’re welcome George and thank you for your comments. You’re right persistence is one huge key to success.

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm

You said it all Radu. Thanks so very much for your comments.

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 10:44 pm

You make a very good point DeAnna about them moving away from what was familiar to them and getting out of their comfort zone.

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I understand your comments. My 85 year old mother still wonders when I’m going to get a job even when we’re able to stay in beautiful vacation homes in CA and we fly her out here first class from Houston. But I have come to realize that it’s just their opinion and has no effect on me and that’s just their world. “We all see and experience the world, not as it is but as we are.”

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 10:50 pm

You’re welcome Lorri and thank you for your comments. You might also like my latest post http://blog.prosperyourmind.com/?p=943

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I appreciate your comments Hazel-Ann.

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 10:54 pm

And thank you for your comments Alex. I also have a pilots license but haven’t flown in years. I guess I feel like been there, done that.

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 10:57 pm

It’s also your attitude toward those course corrections. Stay positive.

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 10:59 pm

You are so right Beth that determination carries over into all areas of your life. Thanks for your comments.

Michael Berry March 21, 2011 at 11:00 pm

It’s hard only if you say it’s hard. You can find fun in anything you do.

Brock Blohm August 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

“For example, a Network Marketer starts a business against the advice of friends and family, all who say this is a mistake.”

Yes! I can’t tell you how many times I have heard this when I started, as well as the stories of some of the gurus when they first started.
If you have a passion in life – do it! No matter how crazy it sounds. Be sure to leave the negativity behind 😉

Michael Berry August 19, 2011 at 11:18 am

You got it Brock. Who are they to give you advice. I take advice from people that support my decisions and are very successful themselves.

John Robberson October 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Excellent post. I saw your comment on Rob Lindquist’s site and came over to see what your site was about. I like it.

Your absolutely right. Quite often the difference between success and failure is perseverance. Success leaves paths to follow. Some get lost in the woods and some reach their ultimate goals… 🙂

A Positive Attitude, Goal Setting, an Overwhelming Passion to Achieve Your Goals and Constant Action are the recipe for success.

Thanks for the information.
John Robberson recently posted..How To Create an Avatar or Gravatar To Promote Your Online Business

Michael Berry October 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

Thank you so much for all your comments John. They are appreciated.

Jane Araguel October 11, 2011 at 2:29 am

Loved this post. Making decisions can at times be the hardest thing to do. The decisions we make can either build or destroy us. If you are determined to do something that you believe in then it is wise to never give up. You may face ridicule and all sorts of disappointments at firs but in the end you kind of have the last laugh.

Michael Berry October 11, 2011 at 9:48 am

Yes that’s the only way we’re going to have any major breakthroughs in our lives.