Why do You Have or Want a job?

by Michael Berry on July 6, 2014

Why do you have or want a job? The number one reason: That is what you’ve been taught by the masses, by the herd. But is it really true?

Think about it. Have you been told all your life, get a good education, get a job, work hard, and you’ll be able to retire comfortably. The statistics don’t lie; for in America 90+% of the people will either be dead by age 65 or dead broke. So let’s take a close look at a job.

People get jobs for security. You can count on that monthly check to provide you with the money necessary for providing for you and your family. You can also save enough money for your retirement by investing in your IRA and then when you reach age 65 you can retire comfortably. Is that really how it works out? For the vast majority the answer is no. So what really happens?

During your working career you might have a number of different jobs with different companies and as a result your lifestyle improves through the years and you find yourself spending as much money as your making to keep up with it. You may even have to adjust your contribution to your IRA downward. Now at some point you will be either be let go from a company or companies as a part of downsizing. At that point you still have to keep the lifestyle so you’re forced to dip into your retirement to make ends meet and of course you’re not contributing to your retirement during this time either. It’s a cycle that keeps repeating itself and when you get into your fifties you find it gets harder and harder to find a job because of your age. The bottom line of all of this, you are “never” really in control of your life.

As for me, I reached the so called “pinnacle” in the job market by advancing to the CEO position of a major corporation but I still had a Chairman of the Board and a board of directors. I found myself traveling all over the world without my wife and I was never home. I reached the point that I realized life was too short. I hated being away from home. At that point I made a decision to become an entrepreneur and experience true time freedom. Has it been easy? No. Has it been worth it? Absolutely.

Michael Berry January 13, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Thank you Linnea. I’m glad to here that you woke-up as well.

John gaydon January 14, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I never quite amde it to CEO. I quit the rat race before that! I remember the travelling bit. For 2 years I was never home.

There is more to life that working for the man. For the last 8 years I have a lifestyle, the ability to choose what I do every day, and the opportunity to live a life most only dream about.

No, I don’t earn millions, but I have a rich, fulfilling life, something far more important in my opinion. It is wonderful so many of us are choosing lives of integrity and making a true difference in this crazy mixed up world!

Michael Berry January 17, 2011 at 3:20 pm

You know John it’s all about making the decision that you don’t want to be part of the rat race. Congratulations to you and thank you for your comments.

Michael Berry January 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm

That is so true Jacqueline if we can just teach our kids they do have a choice it’s a huge beginning. Thanks for your comments.

Michael Berry January 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm

You bring up a great point Ernesto. Last week I made some major changes to my website and it may have effected my links. Thanks so much for pointing that out. I’ll do some checking and get back to you.

Michael Berry January 17, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Yes I do have a problem. Until I get it sorted out you can go to http://www.prosperyourmind.com/i_can.htm for the book. Thanks again for pointing this out to me.

Jane Araguel October 4, 2011 at 5:40 am

Having a job that makes you happy is very essential. I feel you when you said you traveled so much. This can be so bad as you feel so lonely without the presence of your family and friends. It can also damage family relationships at times. It was a great step you took but I am sure you are now happy.

Michael Berry October 4, 2011 at 9:03 am

Traveling away from your family is the worst. At first it starts out as exciting but that quickly changes loneliness. Yes I am very happy now.