Personal Development Simplified

by Michael Berry on July 3, 2014

When I think of personal development or self development, whatever you want to call it, the one thing that comes up for me is that people tend to over complicate it. Personal development is really simple to me, but I also tend to over complicate it from time to time.

Being a student of personal development is, in my words:

1. First and foremost in personal development you must believe without reservation that you are creating your life through your thoughts and take complete responsibility for it. If you don’t, then you should stop reading this now and find some supporting documentation to reinforce this belief. http://blog.prosperyourmind.com/?p=48
  2. In personal development you believe you were created in the image of the creator (God or whatever your belief). Thusly you believe you can create anything in time. You can create your goals.
  3. In personal development you are grateful for what you have right now and what you will have in the future (your goals). http://blog.prosperyourmind.com/?p=60
  4. In personal development you train your mind to think positive thoughts. If you have a negative thought you replace it immediately with a positive thought. You do not allow outside negative environments into your life. (Such as watching the news.) http://blog.prosperyourmind.com/?p=45
  5. In personal development you learn to be very present . I call it living in the NOW. You observe and do not judge. http://blog.prosperyourmind.com/?p=51
  6. Finally, in personal development you work harder on yourself and your thoughts than any one thing and you’re always in action moving toward your goals.

Ramona Schaffroth October 5, 2010 at 4:25 am

How true all of that is. What we think is what we are! What we accomplish lies in our attitude. To stay focused on the positive! I Love your writing, and thanks for sharing! God Bless! Mona

Michael Berry October 5, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Thank you Mona. That’s a great compliment that you love my writing especially since I used to hate writing articles now it a pleasure thanks to all you guys comments.

Thanks again,

Michael Berry October 5, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Thanks again,

Lisa Saline October 5, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Michael, thanks for the quick read on personal development. It’s always nice to be reminded of things we are grateful for and to continually BELIEVE!

Michael Berry October 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Yes Lisa continually BELIEVE is the key. Thanks for your comment.

squireorg October 5, 2010 at 6:50 pm

So true, but also difficult. I guess that’s what makes it worth while.

Michael Berry October 6, 2010 at 2:18 pm

It’s only difficult if you say it is. And yes it is very worthwhile. Thanks for your comment.

Mike Pedersen October 6, 2010 at 2:56 am

Just a “heads up” you might want to be careful with so many links in this blog post. Google will see it as keyword spamming you’re own site. I’ve been doing SEO for my sites for 10 years, so I just know enough to get myself in trouble. But I can say conservatively you have inserted way too many links with the exact same keyword in it. You can take my advice or leave it, but I’m not sure who told you to do this.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Berry October 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Thanks so much for the heads-up Mike. I have now gone in and removed some of the links thanks to you. I did not know. That’s what I love about this community, we’re all here to help each other.

Thanks again,

Deborah Ten Brink October 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I agree with everything you stated here. An attitude of gratitude is a great way to start the process. I personally know several people that need to take a long hard look at what is going on inside but they haven’t the courage to do so! It is such a shame as their fear and doubt is holding them back from achieving all of the great things in life that God has intended for them.

Thank you, Michael, for the reminders and a simple process to get back on track when we sometimes get off the path!

Deborah

Michael Berry October 7, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Thanks so much for all your comments. It is a shame but it is just a choice for them. They just don’t realize how much their missing out on really enjoying life.

Melodie Kantner October 8, 2010 at 11:54 pm

I love this subject. Personal development it crucial. What we think about, and what we speak about comes about. We must be training our subconscious for success.

Michael Berry October 9, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I loved your words Melodie “training our subconscious for success”. Right on.

Dr. Adam Sheck October 9, 2010 at 3:27 am

Great post defining what personal development is for you. My top picks on your list are taking responsibility, being in the now and gratitude.
Keep up the good work,
Adam

Michael Berry October 9, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I think taking responsibility is the biggest hurdle for most people, the blame game is easier. Thanks for your comments as always Adam.

Ldobson October 9, 2010 at 11:02 am

Hello Michael,

Personal development is certainly a key to a person’s health, wealth and happiness. We are on this earth to become all that we can become and if we work on our personal development each and every day, our ability to accomplish great things are much closer.

Go out and make it a great day!
Lloyd Dobson 🙂

Michael Berry October 9, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Right on Lloyd. Yes we should work harder on ourselves than any other thing.

Paul Cline October 11, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Having an “Attitude Of Gratitude” is Key! And taking daily action is the engine that drives the results! “Small steps repeated can complete any undertaking” – Og Mandino
Great Blog Article! – Thanks – Paul Cline

Michael Berry October 12, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Thanks for your comments Paul. You’re right on.

Bethany Lamb October 13, 2010 at 1:03 am

Hey, great post. I think you hit it dead on. Once you have achieved these six things you are well on your way to success. I think the hardest thing about it is making them all a habit.
Bethany

Michael Berry October 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Thanks Bethany I appreciate all your comments. Just a comment you might want to consider installing a gravatar to your email address so your picture will appear next to your comment. Installation instructions are provide by Pat & Lorna at http://thecoolestcouple.com/getting-started-with-gravatar-com-101-tutorial/

mark mitchell July 3, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Hi. I think I am having a problem with making up my mind. Sometimes I prefer to get so many information until i get information overload. It is true that we have to put words into action, but I find this difficult to do.

One more thing, I always in dilemma when I want to do something. Can you give me the first step that I should take?

Adelaide smith July 6, 2011 at 10:16 am

This article is right on. I’m doing everything that I can to find out who I really am. It’s so important to start out believing in yourself and realize that God has created us for greatness.

Michael Berry July 6, 2011 at 11:26 am

Thanks so very much for your comments. Most people don’t even try, congratulations to you.

Chris August 5, 2011 at 8:02 am

Thanks Michael, These are great starting points for the process of personal development. As you say, if you start with the premise that you have a definite purpose and are the product of a creator, it’s simply a matter of removing negative influences and taking persistent positive steps to achieve your goals.

Thanks for all the great thoughts!!

Michael Berry August 5, 2011 at 8:23 am

You’re welcome and thank you for your comments Chris. Right on.

SecretDiary October 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Thanks for the post. On SecretDiary.Posterous.com, I have a reading list you may find useful. The blog is one of my blogs. Due to lack of time, I no longer update it, but the previous posts are still relevant / useful. On Twitter, I’m SecretDiary.

Thanks.