Don’t Watch the News

by Michael Berry on July 10, 2014

We have an expression in our personal development community about CNN. We call it Constant Negative News. The vast majority of the world believes they have to be informed in order to have conversations with people about the topic of the day. In taking a close look at this I see this just developing one negative thought after another. First we get the negative information from the news broadcast then we carry that on in our head and with other people the rest of the day.

When I first got involved in personal development I fought not watching the news for awhile since I was kind of a news junkie. But it soon became clear to me and one of the comments I read really assisted me. Think of your mind as a bank account and for every negative thought you have take out a dollar and for every positive thought deposit a dollar. Now at the end of the day, what does your bank account look like? If I choose to continue to watch the news how many dollars would I have to remove from my bank account?

Mario Miranda February 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Good stuff. I have periods of avid news reading followed by periods of ignoring the news. I should do the latter more consistently; that will allow me to focus on what is really important: achieving family, fitness and business goals.

Michael Berry February 3, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Mario it goes much deeper that just allowing you to focus on things that are important it’s the negative thoughts that are place in your head. They do the real damage in regard to the law of attraction. Take a look at it like this. Look at your mind as a bank account. For every positive thought you add a dollar and for every positive thought you deduct a dollar. Now what does your bank account look like at the end of the day. How many dollars will you be deducting by watching the news. Hope this helps.

Michael Berry February 3, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Mario Miranda February 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Michael Berry February 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Right on Lesly and thanks for your comments.

Michael Berry February 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm

No Allegra I don’t put ESPN in that category. I watch it too. I really believe we’re headed in that direction of a positive news channel. I’ve heard some rumblings. Thanks for your comments.

Michael Berry February 3, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Thank you so much Joe for all your comments. We have not gotten rid of our TV because we do like to watch certain movies but no drama TV series. You’ve got the idea Joe and thanks again.

Eiji "A.G." Morishita February 3, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Hey Michael, great post couldn’t agree with you more.

The thoughts in our head influence our feelings which influence our actions.

I created a Genius Mind Body Rewiring Program to install permanently positive thoughts to override the negative. When you notice the negative thought, command your mind by thinking or saying “I release that thought now.” Replace it with the opposite of the negative thought and with a visualization technique over 90 days the new thought will become permanent.

To Your Genius,
Eiji

Michael Berry February 4, 2011 at 12:16 am

Good on you Eiji we’re on the same page. Thanks for your comments.

Ryan Martin February 4, 2011 at 6:51 pm

That is an awesome way to put it Michael! It is so true that you cannot afford to put negative thoughts into your head. CNN fills millions of people’s heads with negative perceptions of the world every day.

Great advice,
Ryan Martin

Michael Berry February 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I like the way you state it Ryan. “You cannot afford to put negative thoughts into your head.” Right on. Thanks for your comments.

Vanessa February 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I loved your quote about the bank account, think I’ll have to stick that on my wall! I try to avoid the news as much as possible, it comes up on the radio during the day but I try not to tune into it too much. Also I like to listen to fun things, laughter is the best medicine as they say and why not laugh everyday to keep illness away!

Thanks,

Vanessa

Michael Berry February 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Vanessa I’m glad you found value in it. You’re right laughter is a very good thing.

Dr. Adam Sheck February 5, 2011 at 1:31 am

I totally agree with you. I NEVER watch the news, too depressing to put that into my mind before I go to bed. I’ll read a little bit of financial and world news in the am, just to know what’s going on in my stock portfolio, but that’s about it.
Take care,
Adam

Michael Berry February 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Right on Adam. Thanks for your comments.

Melodie Kantner February 5, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I really agree with you. I avoid listening to the news and steer clear of people who are constantly rehashing every bad thing that is going on in the world. It is counter productive to all I am intending to accomplish.

Michael Berry February 7, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Yes Melodie it’s counter productive to your life of joy. Thanks for your comments.

Shari Weiss February 6, 2011 at 7:36 am

We are what we think about . . . and let’s keep those dollars for ourselves. Regarding the news, it is difficult to know the facts even if they are reported by “reputable” sources. Everyone has some agenda, and see events through their own filters.

Michael Berry February 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm

You are so right Shari everyone see’s through their own filters. It goes along with my favorite quote. “We all see and experience the world, not as it is, but as we are.”

Angela Arnold February 6, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Hi, Michael,
I totally agree. I don’t usually watch any type of television. It’s way to negative, and I don’t want to fill my mind with that kind of poison. Let’s all get rid of the negativity so we can attract positive things into our lives. Love your blog.
Angela

Michael Berry February 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Thank you Angela I’m glad you love my blog and thanks for your comments.

Michael Berry February 7, 2011 at 7:44 pm

You don’t have to see all the details to know how about it is then you can choose how much you want to participate. Thanks for your comments Paul.

Leslie Denning February 10, 2011 at 3:18 am

Right on, Michael. I got a good lesson from my husband many years ago. I felt it was my duty as a citizen to watch the news, but he couldn’t see the point. We were looking at a year-old videotape one day, and it had a news broadcast – murder, war, blah, blah, same old as was on the news now. I pretty much stopped watching the news.

I also am totally against listening to NPR. I used to listen to it on my hour-long commute from work because they sometimes had interesting stories. However, all of a sudden I found I was getting fearful of becoming a bag lady with no job and no home. Somewhere along the line, I realized that their constant gloom and doom, the world is going to heck in a handbasket ‘reporting’ was causing me anxiety problems.

Life can be hard enough without taking a daily bath in the daily muck of broadcasting. Thanks for sharing.

Wishing you a song in your heart,
Miss Leslie

Michael Berry February 10, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Right on Miss Leslie. The seeds you plant in your mind can come from anywhere why not chose the good ones.

Willena Flewelling February 20, 2011 at 7:30 am

Constant Negative News. That’s what we call it in our mental cleanse mastermind group too. I never listen to the news or watch it. I have enough negative mind chatter to replace as it is, without adding more!!

Willena Flewelling

Michael Berry February 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Yes we all have a little of that negative mind chatter and why add to it. Thanks for your comments.

Marc Korn March 2, 2011 at 4:10 am

Thanks for sharing your great content..
Constant Negative News…ain’t that the truth!

And, it’s NOT just the news…I try to stay away from all people who are negative (not always easy)…sadly that includes some friends and family members.

Talking with negative people increases depression and loss of motivation.

You are what you think about most of the time, so fill your mind with positive thoughts.

To your massive success,
Marc

Michael Berry March 3, 2011 at 11:11 pm

You are right on Marc it’s not just the news. I will not even let myself be around a negative conversation. Thanks for your comments.

Perry A Davis Jr March 29, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Michael you are right on target. Your way of explaining why not to watch the news is excellent. Maybe enough people will get this message and stop wasting their time on the news.

Thanks

Perry A Davis Jr
Music City USA

Michael Berry March 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm

It’s so interesting how so many people get caught up in the drama of the news and really don’t realize how it’s affecting their lives. Thanks Perry for your comments.

Brock Blohm August 14, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Great post. I thought I was the only one who avoided that negative part of life! Awesome – I’m not alone.

I would MUCH rather talk to people about ideas, concepts, and the future, than to talk to them about the weather, some violent crime, or anything else. No way. Small talk – to some degree; annoys me :). Lets talk about ideas!

Michael Berry August 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

I love your last comment “Let’s talk about ideas”

Jane Araguel October 5, 2011 at 4:01 am

This is so funny but also a wake up call for me. People love mews and most of us are always keen not to miss out on anything. After reading this post I have thought of how true you are and it is amazing. The news is full of negativity and we go round the whole day talking about the negative things we heard or saw. I will really try to minimize the number of times I watch news. 🙂

Michael Berry October 5, 2011 at 10:50 am

Just remember every negative thing you hear has an impact toward that direction of thought. It’s interesting that I really haven’t missed out on a thing because you hear in the grocery line and etc. My mother doesn’t understand it but when she starts to discuss something she’s heard on the new I just say I don’t know anything about it and she has to stop talking about it.